Ophthalmic Medical Technologist
Assist ophthalmologists by performing ophthalmic clinical functions and ophthalmic photography. Provide instruction and supervision to other ophthalmic personnel. Assist with minor surgical procedures, applying aseptic techniques and preparing instruments. May perform eye exams, administer eye medications, and instruct patients in care and use of corrective lenses.
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Measure clients’ bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients’ vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
|Description||2016 Jobs||2020 Jobs
|Eye Care Technology – Ophthalmic Medical Technologist||1,161||1,637||$16.35||$25.00||$39.90|
|Eye Care Technology – Optician, Dispensing||1,427||1,827||$10.10||$13.94||$19.23|
- Ophthalmic Medical Technologist – Associate Degree or Certificate
- Optician, Dispensing – Associate Degree