Architectural and civil drafters prepare detailed drawings of architectural and structural features of buildings or drawings and topographical relief maps used in civil engineering projects, such as highways, bridges, and public works. Use knowledge of building materials, engineering practices, and mathematics to complete drawings. Electronic and electrical drafters prepare wiring diagrams, circuit board assembly diagrams, and layout drawings used for the manufacture, installation, or repair of electrical equipment. Mechanical drafters prepare detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, fastening methods, and other engineering information.
|Description||2014 Jobs||2018 Jobs
|Architectural & Civil Drafter||4,305||4,429||$23.99||$10.35||$41.05|
|Electrical & Electronics Drafter||1,667||1,762||$32.10||$19.15||$59.30|
*Jobs for recently announced petrochemical projects not yet included. Source: QCEW (Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages) Employees, Non-QCEW Employees, Self-Employed & Extended Proprietors – EMSI 2014.3 Class of Worker BETA. Job and wage information drawn from counties touching a 100-mile radius of Baytown, Texas.
Programs of Study
- Associate of Applied Science, Computer-Aided Drafting and Design – DT2
- Associate of Applied Science, Process Piping Design – PPD2
- Certificate of Completion, Architectural Construction and Building Technology – CMT1
- Certificate of Completion, Computer-Aided Drafting and Design – TP1
- Certificate of Completion, Computer-Aided Drafting and Design, Advanced Technology – DS1
- Certificate of Completion, Mechanical Technology – MET1
- Certificate of Completion, Process Instrumentation and Electrical Design – PIED1
- Certificate of Completion, Process Piping Design – PPD1
Post-secondary vocational training: Occupations at this level generally require completion of vocational school training. Some programs last only a few weeks while others may last more than a year. In some occupations, a license is needed that requires passing an examination after completion of the training. (Source: Texas Workforce Commission)